Poet and playwright AUSTIN ALEXIS will have a short play performed this August at the 5th annual WELCOME TO BOOG CITY festival in NYC. The play will be performed Sunday August 7th at 5:45pm at Zinc Bar located at 82 West 3rd Street in Manhattan. The 3-character short play explores the sustainability of friendship during crisis.
Austin Alexis is the author of 2 poetry chapbooks, LOVERS AND DRAG QUEENS and FOR LINCOLN & OTHER POEMS, both from POETS WEAR PRADA.
POETS WEAR PRADA, Austin's publisher will also have a table at the festival's small press bookfair taking place Saturday August 6th and Sunday August 7th in Brooklyn's Prospect Heights neighborhood at Unnameable Books, located at 600 Vanderbilt Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11238. For more information about the bookstore call (718) 789-1534. Unnameable Books is Open Daily 11am-11pm. Austin's lastest book as well as other books from the press will be available for purchase. Another PWP author TBA will be reading at the bookfair.
The 5th Annual BOOG CITY festival presents 5 days of Poetry & Music from Friday August 5th to Tuesday August 9th with events in Manhattan and in Brooklyn. This year's festival marks the 20th anniversary of BOOG CITY, edited and published by David A. Kirschenbaum.
The poetry readings are curated by Jim Behrle, Joanna Fuhrman, and David A. Kirschenbaum. The music is booked by Brian Speaker.
Among the festival highlights are:
- our levy lives: celebrating the renegade press series devotes a night to Black Radish Books;
- our 8th annual small, small press fair, with exhibits from a host of small presses, and readings by their authors;
- Poetry’s First Responders: 9/11, A Time When Poetry was Always Still Possible, a panel curated and moderated by Douglas Rothschild;
- Poet Rebecca Woolf reading and in conversation with poet Alan Gilbert
- Poets’ theater plays from: Austin Alexis • Charles Borkhuis • Maria Brandt • Joel Chace • Jenny Hill • Vincent Katz • Matt Reeck;
- Poetry readings from: Alex Abelson • Rachel Aydt • Cara Benson • Sean Cole • Joanna Penn Cooper • Jim Dunn • Will Edmiston • Alan Gilbert • Christine Hamm • Monica Hand • Jibade-Khalil Huffman • Brenda Iijima • Ish Klein • Austin LaGrone • Mark Lamoureux • Tanya Larkin • Sheila Maldonado • Debrah Morkun • John Mulrooney • Ekoko Omadeke • Jean Paul Pecqueur • Douglas Piccininni • Brett Price • Greg Purcell • Douglas N. Rothschild • Kathrin Schaeppi • Toni Simon • Kimberly Ann Southwick • Mary Austin Speaker • Jill Stengel • Mark Statsman • Nicole Wallace • Meredith Walters • Ian Wilder • Jeffrey Wright • and more;
- Poetry readings on Black Radish Books night: Mackenzie Carignan • Bruce Covey • Carrie Hunter • Mark Lamoureux • Marthe Reed • Kathrin Schaeppi • Jill Stengel • David Wolach;
- music performances by: Crazy and the Brains • Emily Einhorn • Dan Fishback • Greg Smith band • Charles Mansfield • Justin Remer • Cat Rockefeller • and more; and
- tabling presses and artisans: Bone Bouquet • Don’s Saddles • Furniture Press • Gigantic Sequins • Litmus Press/Aufgabe • Lunar Chandelier • Ping Pong • Poets Wear Prada • Stonecutter Journal • Vanitas magazine • White Rabbit zine.
For event and publication information:David A. Kirschenbaum, editor and publisherBoog City
330 W. 28th St., Suite 6H
NY, NY 10001-4754